All of our blogs have been about our adventures here in Abu Dhabi but I have not shared my biggest adventure - the classroom! I work off island in an area called Shawamekh. I am at an all boys school and I teach one first grade class and one fourth grade class. Every teacher has two classes but I am the only one who splits grades. When I first arrived at the school I saw a large tan building that blended into the desert surroundings but once in the front doors I was bombarded with color! Every window and wall is covered with art! The students wear kandoras that are some shade of white or tan, but underneath they wear bright T-shirts and pants that they use for P.E. The school day is from 7:15 am to 1:15 pm. The first part of the day is assembly then my day is split into two big chunks. Class one (the grades flip flop each day) is from 7:30 until 9:55. Break is until 10:15, I get prep until 11, then class two is 11 until 1:15. The teachers have work time until 2:00 when we are then free to leave. I teach English, Science and Math and when the students are not with me they are learning Arabic, Islamic studies, Computers, Art, Social Studies and P.E. in Arabic with Arabic speaking teachers.
 |
This is the view around my school. Low buildings, all tan or white, and lots and lots of sand! |
 |
| The outside of my school (but inside the gate). |
 |
The gate of the school. It is closed with the students are here and is only opened when the buses arrive and leave. |
 |
| Another view of the outside with our school sign. |
 |
One of the two covered courtyards. This is outside the third and fourth grade wings. The boys eat and play here during their breaks. |
 |
| The other courtyard outside the first and second grade wing. |
 |
All of the walls and windows are covered with colorful artwork. The artwork is either scenes of landscapes or reminders of what it takes to be a good student. |
 |
One of the landscapes. This is painted on plywood and mounted over a green hilly landscape that is on every wall in both courtyards. |
 |
Another view of the painted walls. This is the flag pole where the daily morning assembly is held. The kids sing the U.A.E national anthem and a small group of kids play instruments along with them. It is a great way to start the day. |
 |
| This is the outside of my First grade classroom. |
 |
The inside of my First grade classroom. My window overlook the football field. One of the green areas in the school. |
 |
| The other side of the room. |
 |
My Fourth grade room is in the back left corner. The staircase is one of many that lead up to the computer room, library and resource room. |
 |
| The drinking fountain and wash area. |
 |
Bulletin boards are posted around the school filled with pictures and examples of students work. |
Great School......loved the art!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to Matt (yesterday)
Thanks for sharing the photos of the school. I love hearing about schools in other countries.
ReplyDelete